Spring Cleaning? Don't Forget Your Roof!
While winter isn’t quite over yet in Des Moines, spring is finally on the horizon, and with spring comes deep cleaning and other chores often neglected during the colder, shorter winter days. This year, don’t forget to add your roof to the list. Here are some things you should do or check to prepare your roof for spring and summer.
Spring Roof Cleaning Checklist
- Clean the Gutters. Leaves, branches and other debris often clog your gutters in the fall, and if you didn’t remove them then, snow and rain may have worsened clogs. Clogged or improperly functioning gutters can lead to roof leaks and foundation damage.
- Clear Roof Debris. Roof debris can lead to mold and/or mildew growth, which can then lead to roof damage. Clear off the large debris by hand and use a leaf blower for the rest.
- Wash Away Dirt, Mold & Mildew. This can all compromise roofing material. To ensure that the debris doesn’t end up hurting the integrity of your roof, clean your roof thoroughly.
- Look for Damage & Loose Shingles. Snow and ice are hard on shingles. Look for signs of loose, damaged, curling or missing shingles. If you notice any signs of roof damage, call in a professional roofing contractor to repair your roof.
- Check the Attic. Finally, check your attic for signs of water damage or mold. If no leaking has occurred, mold in your attic is usually due to either an insulation or ventilation issue. If you notice leaking, mold or mildew, call in a professional to determine what the problem is.